According to the Toronto Real Estate Board, there are over 34,000 real estate agents in Toronto. You probably see several realtors’ faces appear in your mailbox weekly via postcard or flyer. So when buying or selling your home, how do you find a good real estate agent? DO YOUR DUE DILIGENCE.
Make a checklist of what you are looking for in a realtor, and prepare interview questions. Here are some key areas to discuss:
- How many years have they been working in real estate?
- How many transactions have they completed this year?
- What sets them apart from the competition?
- Do they have negotiating experience?
- Are they working in real estate full time or part-time?
- How long before your voice mail/emails/texts are returned?
- Do they have an established and trusted team to service your needs; ranging from mortgage brokers to insurance brokers, home inspectors, lawyers, general contractors, electricians, plumbers, carpenters, roofers, masons and movers…to help you through the process?
- Do they live in the neighbourhood?
- Are they involved and contributing to the community? How?
- Can they answer questions about the neighbourhood’s amenities?
- Are they familiar with other real estate transactions for the area?
- Do they have a current and up-to-date online/web presence?
- Do they have testimonials?
- Do they use social media?
- How do they communicate with clients (phone/text/email/messenger)?
- Do they have a solid reputation?
- Do they have referrals from previous clients?
- Are they respected by their peers?
Interview 3-4 agents and check references. Asking important questions will help you get to know the person you are potentially entrusting with handling the biggest investment of your life. You need to ascertain if their goals, credentials and personality match yours.
In Toronto’s highly competitive real estate market, doing your research will ensure you hire the best qualified real estate agent for the job.
Did I forget anything? Interested in discussing? Please feel free to contact me directly here.